4th Annual CLE by the Sea: NE Solo and Small Firm Conference
Thursday, August 12, 2021
08:00 AM - 07:00 PM
Blue Ocean Event Center
4 Ocean Front North, Salisbury, Salisbury Beach, MA, USA
Greater Newburyport Bar Association with
The Maine State Bar Association; New Hampshire Bar Association; Massachusetts Bar Association; Massachusetts Academy of Trial Attorneys; MA Woman’s Bar Association; Starting Out Solo; LOMAP/LCL
Maine CLE Credits: 7.0 with potential to earn 2.5 Ethics Credits and 1.0 H&D Credit. NH credits indicated below
7:30-8:30 Continental Breakfast
8:30-9:30 How Cybersecurity Can Impact Your Business ( 1 ME ethics, 60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Corey Tapper, President, Techevolution
Sponsored by Techevolution
- Types of Cybersecurity (Cloud Security, Network Security and Application Security)
- The Rise of Cyber Crime
- Targeted Cyber Attacks
- Identity Theft, Hacking and Other Cybersecurity Attacks
- How to Avoid a Security Breach at your Company
- The Biggest Risk to a Business
- Processes the Best Practices
- How to protect your network devices and data from attack, damage or unauthorized access
9:35-10:35 A. Practicing Family Law on the Borders (60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Demetra Pontsiakos, MA, Catherine Shanelaris, NH & Dana Prescott, ME
- Substantive differences in child support/parenting/alimony in three states.
- Enforcement and modification standards in three states.
- UIFSA basics.
- UCCJEA basics vs. UCCJA basics (MA only).
- How to record a foreign judgment and what does it mean?
- Case studies/examples from practice
9:35-10:35 B. Marketing with Limited Resources
Jared Correia, Red Cave Law Firm Consulting & Damian Turco,
- What does the most recent research data say about how prospective clients choose lawyers today
- What should you do to get noticed with limited resources?
- What can you do to improve your chances of being selected?
10:35-10:55 Networking Break
10:55-11:55 C. COVID and Employer Liability Claims (60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Debra Dyleski-Najjar NH & Laura H. White, ME
- COVID Vaccinations and Accommodations
- Leaves of Absence/ADA Rules
- Working from Home Now and in Future
10:50-11:55 D. State of the Legal Market and Profession (60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Damian Turco, TurcoLegal
- Case and attorney trends through COVID pandemic;
- Closer look at Eviction, Debt Collection, and Family Law Cases;
- The Justice Gap and how the industry has addressed it;
- Established and emerging legal tech and what lawyers will need to do to remain competitive.
Marc Moccia, Kazarosian Law
- Lawyer WellBeing
11:55-1:00 Lunch (included)
1:00-2:00 How to Build a Virtual Law Practice (60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Rio Peterson, CLIO and Jared Correia, Red Cave Law Firm Consulting
Sponsored by CLIO
- What a virtual law firm is, and how it works
- Why you should consider starting a virtual practice
- How to get started on your firm’s virtual path
2:05-3:05 E. Practicing Elder Law on the Borders: Different Approaches and Current Topics (60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Margot Birke, MA, Jennifer Frank, ME and Joy Riddell, NH
Medicaid Asset Protection Trusts; Annuities/Name on Check; Pooled Trusts; Elective Share; Testamentary Trusts; Transfer on Death Deeds
2:05-3:05 F. Encryption ( 1 ME ethics, 60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Laura Keeler, LOMAP
- Gain a basic understanding of encrypted communications
- Learn how to protect conﬁdential client information.
- Learn about some best practices and examples of encryption tools that are applicable for use in a small law ofﬁce.
3:05-3:20 Networking Break
3:20-4:20 G. Inside Out: How to Manage Lead and Client Communications in a Brave New World (30 minutes ME ethics, 60 minutes general NHMCLE))
Jared D. Correia, Red Cave Consulting Co.
- What are the technology applications that can assist client communications
- How to modernize your lead management and client communications to convert more clients
- How to improve your relationships with the clients you already have
- What are the practical applications and ethical considerations that enable you to stay on top of, and paper, every transaction across the client lifecycle
3:20-4:20 H. Business Ownership: Is It an Asset or Is It a Job? (60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Marc Bello, Edelstein & Co. and Don Pitman, Pitman Law Office
Sponsored by Edelstein & Co.
- Identify attributes which create value to a business
- Identify attributes correlated to a business owners efforts
- How to distinguish when a business goes from a job to an asset
- Why does it matter for valuation purposes
- If you can’t sell it, can it still be an asset?
4:25-5:25 I. Unconscious Bias (1 ME H & D, 60 minutes general NHMCLE)
Susan Letterman White, Letterman White Consulting
- How do systemic “isms” lead to inadvertent harassment and discriminatory communication and conduct in the practice of law?
- What’s the role of feelings in all of this?
- What can we do to recognize and repair the problem?
4:25-5:25 J. Legal Marketing Tactics & Benchmarks of Top Ranking Law Firms
Nick Paul & Dax Greener, NIFTY
Sponsored by NIFTY
- Discover what marketing tactics are working for top law firms
- Benchmarking data to measure against your own law firm
- Actionable marketing strategies to improve your firm's Google presence and visibility
- Deep dive into Google Local Services Ads
5:30 Reception Oceanside: All Are Invited—Sponsored by the GNBA
We thank our sponsors for their generosity and support!
Is the world’s leading cloud-based technology platform that prides itself in simplifying operations, growing businesses, and allowing legal professionals like you to work remotely from anywhere. Let Clio focus on the business side of running your firm while you spend more time doing what you do best — practicing law.
Learn more at www.clio.com
Techevolution specializes in a wide range of services, including cyber security and IT solutions for small and medium businesses. Every aspect of running a business takes time. Let us manage your IT services so that you have the time to focus on your business. Techevolution combines our multifaceted IT experience and expertise to define the best solution to meet your company’s needs. We keep your IT systems running smooth, while ensuring your electronic assets are optimized, maintained, secured and protected.
Learn more at https://www.techevolutionmsp.com
At Nifty we believe there is a right way to do marketing for law firms. We live and breathe legal marketing and travel the country talking about it. It is our goal to help lawyers get back in the “lawyer seat” and do what they are best at. To accomplish this we become a true partner and friend with the law firms that join the Nifty team. We become an integral member of the team and thrive on the success of the lawyers we work with. We take pride in being insanely transparent and honest in everything we do. We are a bunch of passionate marketers in a small farming community with good values and even better work ethics.
Learn more at https://niftymarketing.com
Edelstein & Company LLP
is a full-services regional CPA firm located in Boston’s financial district. We’re comprised of over 100 employees serving primarily privately held businesses and high net worth individuals spanning a variety of industries including healthcare, real estate & construction, food & beverage, start up and emerging companies, nonprofit organizations, PE and hedge funds to mention a few. We provide tax, audit, accounting, business valuation and consulting services to our clients. In 2018, we proudly celebrated our 50th anniversary. Learn more at www.https://edelsteincpa.com
8 Waves Creative
is a full-service marketing agency located on the north shore of Boston. We define, architect, build, and deliver uniquely designed and tailored marketing solutions that separate you from the crowd. We are able to manage your company’s entire marketing operation, or simply just assist in the areas where you need it most. Learn more at www.8wavescreative.com
Institution for Savings
Since 1820, the Institution for Savings has played an integral role in supporting the communities we serve. With 15 retail locations throughout the North Shore, we offer a full menu of uncomplicated personal and business products and services to help our customers build financial security. As a mutual savings bank, our true commitment to our communities extends far beyond profits. From our trustees and officers to our employees, we are all committed to constantly do what we can to improve the lives of those around us every day.
Gretchen Maguire, Realty One Group
At Realty ONE Group - NEST, we believe in Community, Family and building a life by design and not by default. We pride ourselves on our thriving, forward-thinking environment & unique COOLture! As a Residential Real Estate Salesperson since 1989 you will find that Gretchen Maguire's focus on customer satisfaction, communication, and passion for this business exceeds industry standards. When you’re ready to buy or sell a home, Gretchen Maguire can provide you with results you can count on.
McWalter Volunteer Insurance Agency, Jillian Lukegord, VP
Your property and casualty independent agent since 1907. Ensuring that you have the correct coverage for your business or personal accounts can be both confusing and overwhelming. At McWalter Volunteer, we work with you to select the best strategy to minimize risk. When we examine your insurance program, we recommend the best ways to update your insurance, whether eliminating unnecessary coverage, consolidating multiple programs, or indicating areas where coverage is insufficient. At McWalter Volunteer, we believe that our clients deserve peace of mind, knowing that we have secured for them the proper protection at the best price.
Raven Consulting and Community Services provides a variety of resources and workshops for professionals in law, psychology, mental health, social work, and education, among other fields. RCCS offers guidance through individual and organizational litigation support concerning expert and forensic roles, professional ethics, Guardian ad litem best practices, and risk management. We also equip parents with education and resources for parenting and co-parenting after separation, including child custody conflict and family court matters.
is the #1 legal practice management software for New England law firms. Simplify your IT infrastructure, reduce overhead costs, and enable your law firm to work from anywhere, at any time. Law firms earn 30% more profit within the first year of switching to LEAP by getting rid of servers, billing more hours with instant time-recording, and getting paid faster with secure, online billing and payments. Learn more at www.leap.us
Martha Bagley, BagleyLaw, Salem, https://www.bagleylawpc.com
Don Pitman, Pitman Law Offices, Newburyport, www.pitman-law.com
Thomas J. Taranto, Taranto Law Offices, Salem, https://tarantolaw.com
Gary Todd, Todd & Weld, Boston, www.toddweld.com
Ticket Sales Ended
No tickets are available for this event.